Random Thoughts on ... Husbands and KDrama

Recently, my husband and I went to the cinema to watch Skyfall together. I enjoyed it a lot - because it is more like Batman than Bond, because Bond looks like a much cooler version of Vladimir Putin, and not least because there is a lot of cyber-terrorism, another grand passion of mine. Analytically speaking.
But that's not the issue: One of the previews before the main film was Twilight - Breaking Dawn, Part 2. Even in the cinema, my husband was, like "that looks cool" - "have you seen the twilight movies?" - "should we go watch it?" - ETC.

Would you believe it?! I can't seem to calm down about this. First, I'm the one into vamp stuff, not him (though I must admit he really liked Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Fearless Vampire Killers, probably before I even heard of vampires. Oh, and he gave many volumes of the insane but rather impressive Necroscope Saga by Brian Lumley to me, which I then, indeed, read). Second, and far more importantly, I'm seriously offended by his (currently still theoretical) interest in Twilight. You know why? Because my husband is decidedly not interested in anything KDrama related. Where's the connection, you ask? Well: How can he consider spending 10 or more hours of his life on some teenage sobstuff with sparkling vampires but not watch any KDrama with me!!!!

Have I not tried? Oh yes, I have.  
Arang and the Magistrate? He fell asleep. Before that, he asked several times whether Lee Jun-ki was a woman.  
Special Affairs Team Ten? He thought the main lead looked a bit like him but was too much of an a-hole.  
Tree With Deep Roots? "How long is it? WHAT? 24hrs? No, I will not watch this!" and "what strange hats are they wearing?"
Gaksital? "If I want to watch Japanese people, I'd rather watch a real Japanese movie" and "We really haven't watched any Naruto for ages, we should start again!"
Princess' Man? "You cannot be serious, right? Why would I want to watch something like this, this is for women!"
Jeonwoochi (preview) ... I will not even repeat what he said. It was too frustrating. 

Have I given up? No! Never! I will not give up! I'm now going into stealth mode. Here is my plan ... .... ...... [it's a secret plan because he is reading my blog]

Comments

lafer said…
So funny and so true! Please let me know your plan. I, too, want to somehow coerce my husband into watching a kdrama. I may have to invest in cables to hook up my computer to the TV without him knowing, then tell him it's the only thing on.
kakashi said…
to be honest ... I don't have a plan ;-( but don't tell him. I would like to be able to braid his hair while forcing him to watch like somebody we both know. but the hair is too short - quite unbraidable.
Rosie said…
I got my husband hooked somewhere between ep 2 and 6 of City Hunter after he'd made multiple trips into the TV room, bothering me constantly with updates about the plot. I finally made him sit down, and 10 hours later we finally finally called it a night. I think I might be the rare, lucky spouse though.. It took a number of SHHHHHing at Lee Min Ho's hot pink pants for him to settle down and just go with the flow. We're working on Kpop now.. if he would just like Bigbang a little more I'd be happy.. Instead, my plan back-fired, and now he listens to Girl's Generation.. Siiiigh.
kakashi said…
hahaha, and suddenly they'll have crushes on Shin Min-ah etc. and we'll go: "how can we make them stop??"
dewaanifordrama said…
Hahahahaha - good luck with your secret plan! I seriously don't understand why more people aren't seriously in love with K-drama. It is the best! I think I only watch one US TV show anymore...
Anonymous said…
My husband has enjoyed City Hunter, City Hall, Jumong, and Queen In-hyun's Man. We were watching Coffee Prince together but I skipped ahead to the end when he got busy with work, so he got mad and refuses to watch the end. We've also enjoyed some Jdoramas together: Change, Gift, Kame No Shizuku (we are wine nerds) and he really wants to finish Jin and Bambino. He likes police procedurals but doesn't like them too gory, so he liked the Taiwanese drama Black and White but hated the Japanese Kimutaku vehicle Brain because of some gratuitous gore.
LadySaotome said…
My husband enjoyed bits of Black & White but gets annoyed at the slapstick parts. I did get him addicted to Mars as he loves psychological-type shows. I think he'd like City Hunter and maybe King2Hearst if he gave them a chance. But the biggest hurdle in getting him to watch is the subtitles - he's not the best reader (dyslexic) and it gives him a headache trying to follow along. So I settle by addicting my family & friends one at a time instead... ;)
JoAnne said…
Kakashi! Necroscope! I read the first book and loved it, a million years ago, but could never find more or remember the name when I tried to find more. I blame the Army. I was moving around. I am going to FILL my Kindle with all these books tonight.
kakashi said…
did our drunk Widget bring you here? hooray!
kakashi said…
ah, no, 't was the trivia contest.
JoAnne said…
No, it was the comments page...I never saw this post before and someone added a comment so I had to go read it