Rants and Weekly Raves #231 (RAWR)

Trotwood: I'm never first. Where is everyone? I'm posting now because since we had a snow day today (12 inches/ 32 centimeters where I live and 14 inches/35 cm where I work--see Kakashi? I'm trying to remember to use both measurements!), there will be so much work to make up for this week that i know I won't be able to comment. I should've did more work at home today, but I slept a lot after shoveling.Wasn't in mood to watch anything new either. I just rewatched eps of Just You. OST holds up but Aaron's hair? Oh, and is anyone watching Love in Sadness? It keeps showing up on my YT recommendations with clips of Ryu Soo Young playing crazed abusive husband.
JoAnne: I don't think I watched all that much this week...I intend to check out Love in Sadness but I feel like I'm not going to stick with it, truthfully.
Panda: I have 2 sick kids and i blame this weather. Our high was 12F yesterday but actual feel then was 0, with us getting into -18. Brrrrr
kakashi: Agree, bad times all around

KOREA 

The Crowned Clown

People are dying left and right in the brutal fight between...well...right and wrong, I guess.  The thing is, this week I was completely floored by the Dowager Queen's sadness and rage.  You completely get why she's so determined to destroy the King, and you even side with her...what mother would not?
I do understand her rage but yet,I don't side with her. Sigh. I guess there was only one outcome for Royal Secretary but it still hurt godammit. As did the Royal guard (why?! Sobs). I'll admit nothing gave me more pleasure than Shin Si Soo being cut down. Conversely Prince Jin Pyeongs exit made me feel sad,it was  quite disrespectful the way he was simply abandoned. The ending was a little odd and I feel my heart doesn't want to accept my head's conclusion. All in all, i enjoyed this and give YJG all the awards. 

Touch Your Heart

I'm watching enough to comment now, and this show is just as cute as everyone says and it's all because Yoo In Ah is utterly adorable and likeable.I also have a particular weakness for Lee Sang Woo. I've tried (and watched) all sorts of wretched dramas for him; there's just something about him that says "marry me now" and you'll have muffins every Saturday that I find appealing. (Him singing that chicken commercial nearly did me in) What I find odd about the show is Yeo Rum and the prosecutor's office. It's like they are in a different show. They are so cruel to her without the show really giving us much reason why they are so nasty to her. I've seen lots of petty cruelty in dramas; it's the lack of set up that I find kind of jarring. I'd never eat in that cafeteria again. I'd just be having yogurt at my desk.

Romance is a Bonus Playbook

First the coats to date (there is another but my shots of it are too dark):





For a person who was squatting in her friends house a short while ago, she sure has a LOT of wonderful coats. I know Eun Ho bought her some clothes, but there is no way all those coats were in the bags from his ex- girlfriend's store. SO much worthy to talk about this ep. Our OTP's ship is sailing, the 2nd leads are coming together nicely, and Hae Rin's mom accidentally hitting Eun Ho with her purse. But I want to also talk about some of the wonderful quieter moments. Yoo Sun meeting up with her ex was painful but beautifully done and Young-A's plaintive worry over her sin and her feeling alone and desperate and bitter that everyone calls the mom first not even bothering the dad was so on point that I actually paused the ep and yelled "Damn right" at the screen. And of course there was this


But  I'm very worried that we are turning a corner into angst, so I may be silent on show for awhile.

Trap


My fear that all the good people would be dead by the end of this drama and the dread I felt throughout the final ep made me miss some things. OCN does not pull any punches, and there were times I closed my eyes not because I was scared but just because I didn't want to watch the pain inflicted. There are as till a lot of loose ends, and they close as if there was going to be another season with the appearance of the twin of the heroine who has been burnt beyond recognition and had to have one of her legs amputated. At least Det. Ko's family escaped. I'd like to think that Woo Hyun/ Devil Dimples actually cared about them a bit, but I know he's a deranged sociopath also searching for the antidote. But why not kill him? Or at least turn him in?
Um, yes. Burned beyond recognition, maimed horribly, and uh...dead. She's dead. So the twin showing up and perkily asking the flabberghasted Ko where's the dirtbag who killed her sister, yeah...it screams set up for a return.

I also don't know why they didn't just arrest him or even kill him. I have no idea why they would give him anthrax and then just let him wander around until he dies because it's a KDRAMA people he's going to find a way to get out of it.

W.H.Y.


This is the current web drama I'm watching put out by Playlist Global on Youtube. Each ep is around 15 minutes and there is a new one every Thursday and Saturday. It's the story of a group of friends who go on a trip to Jeju Island after one of them gets dumped on his 100th day anniversary date. It's beautiful to look at and an obvious commercial-like so many of these are--but the plot is actually interesting with characters that you end up caring about despite only knowing them briefly. There are currently 8 episodes out.

CHINA/TAIWAN 

Never Let You Go

I was dealing with some major issues that had me tied to my computer waiting for updates for about 30 hours straight last week, giving me time to watch (with some heavy fastforwarding) eps 15-28. I find it interesting that we finally get introduced to the real 2nd male lead so late in the game. I'm hoping they make the dumb girl, who's basically bribed Yun Lan to marry her, die because I don't think she deserves for him to fall in love with her just because she's decided to have him (but I'm pretty sure, he will--sigh). I'm still bored by the fighting (quality of it) and by the need for everyone to rehash plot for people like we are doing a review sessions for a test. The real reason why everyone is after Bu Qui is actually much more interesting than we thought, and I know everyone else has gotten to the point where she knows that she's supposed to be sacrificed for this cause, but I haven't got there yet. Lots of older bad guy eye candy, too. Want to give them a shout out since everyone is only talking about Bin Bin.
Li Ang

Wang Ruo Lin