Looking for new dramas to watch?

aka The Prime Minster and I Came From The Stars for Miss Korea ...plus some variety shows

Heirs has come and gone (and I'm still wondering why I watched that show). The glow from Master's Sun is about to fade and WGM is well past its honeymoon stage.  Only Reply 1994 is keeping me at my computer. *Team OPPA all the WAY!*

If you're like me you're getting twitchy. You're thinking, what do I watch? What are my new show options? Should I be getting into variety shows?

What's on air right now? Lets see...


The Prime Minister and I / The Prime Minister is Dating / 총리와 나
Stars:  Lee Bum Soo as Kwon Yul
Im Yoon Ah as Nam Da Jung
Chae Jung Ahn as Seo Hye Joo (public relations officer)
Yoon Shi Yoon as Kang In Ho (chief of staff)
Ryu Jin as Park Joon Ki

Story: Prime Minister is a workaholic and has 3 kids. Nam Da Jung is a reporter who disguises herself as a housekeeper in order to get a scoop on him. They get caught and I guess have to pretend to be married in order to avoid scandal.

Air days:  Monday & Tuesday

Initial Thoughts: I'm a little skeeved by the idea of Yoon-Ah and Lee Bum-Soo together because he does look pretty old. Yeah it happens in real life but it still weird. Yoon Shi-Yoon and Chae Jung-Ahn are great actors. I'm a little sad to see them as secondary characters but I know they'll at least do their best to make up for Yoon-Ah's not so good acting. Idols without acting skills as lead characters is getting a bit old. Friends seem to like it so we'll see.

Love from Another Star / You Who Came from the Stars / Cute Alien Guy / 별에서 온 그대

Stars: Kim Soo Hyun as Do Min Joon (Alien / University Professor)
Jun Ji Hyun as Chun Song Yi (28) (Top Actress / University Student)
Jo Seung Hyun as Young Hwi Kyung
Yoo In Na as Yoo Se Mi

Story: A romantic comedy drama about an alien man from the Chosun times 400 years ago, falling in love with a modern day top actress.

Air days: Wednesday & Thursday

Initial Thoughts: The description is brief innit? I like that. It means I'm going int here with no expectations. I haven't seen Kim Soo-Hyun since Dream High (I know I know but I hear there's a lot of crying in Moon Embraces the Sun and I'm not having that) but he's so cute! so I'm happy about that. I hear the chemistry is good between the two leads and I needs some good chemistry. Master's Sun was too long ago.

Miss Korea / 미스코리아 (konglish for the win!)
Stars: Lee Yeon Hee as Oh Ji Young (Elevator girl  / Miss Korea candidate)
Lee Sun Kyun as Kim Hyung Joon (aka the voice)

Story: A drama about some men who make a woman from their neighborhood the next Miss Korea. or This drama takes place in year 1997 and is about a failing cosmetics company that tries to turn a former high school beauty queen into Miss Korea. Which one is right?

Air days: Wednesday & Thursday

Initial Thoughts: If the second description is true this could be a nice little romp a la miss congeniality. If it's not....well there might be a show to snark at. It has my all time favorite Ajusshi bias Lee Sun Kyun so if anything I'll be snarking on the show and swooning at his voice.

Variety Shows

Superman Returns: This show follows several fathers who have to take care of their kids when mom disappears for 48 hours.  The family of interest is TABLO (the hit rapper and a third of HipHop group Epik High)  and his adorable daughter Haru.  It's been difficult to find subbed episodes so I've been watching the ones I found raw. They're so cute together!

Cheondamdong 111: Follow the idols (CN Blue and FT Island) and trainees of FNC entertainment for 8 episodes. The Sunbaes act as mentors for the trainees and the group with the trainees that show the most progress will get a holiday. I have never seen a group of people working so hard for a holiday. Hongki is smart and sassy, the group members are funny and the trainees are...actually rather bad. It's an enjoyable watch. 3 episodes are out already.

Running Man and Happy Together:  Classics! Lots of laughs in Running Man with some ridiculous tasks. Check out Kookie (Kim Joong Gook) crush the competition, Kwang Soo and Haha plan elaborate betrayals and Monday Couple (Garie and Song Ji-Hyo) bringing the squee.  The best bit (for me anyways) about Happy Together is Midnight/Late Night Café where the guests bring recipes of quick easy snacks you can make late at night. You also get some insight into your fave stars and may even be introduced to some new stars. It's a great watch and the good thing is you can catch it on YouTube on the KBSworld channel...fully subbed! While you're on that channel, you might want to check out gag concert. Funny as heck!

*Links to actor profiles from asianwiki.com