Rants and Weekly Raves (RAWR) #417

Anne: This past week has been a little weird. First, while I was going to sleep one night, I heard a high pitched giggle. In the dark, for like one half of a second, my mind flashed to every single horror movie that I have ever watched with dolls coming to life. I swear that I stopped moving, with the bedcovers right beneath my nose and I strained my ears. And there it was again, the giggle. I told myself if I hear quick foot steps next, I'm burning all the stuffed toys my son had. All this happened in about a minute, which was about the time it took me to come to the more realistic conclusion that the giggle was my son giggling in his sleep. Yes, I can hear his giggle from my bedroom (I live in a tiny house). It is at these moments when I realize that no matter how much my rational mind knows that supernatural events are not real, when sudden things happen that my brain cannot process in a split second, I almost always go back into the supernatural world. 

As I was saying, this week was a bit odd. I watched way too many reality/game shows this week, so I didn't catch up too much with any of the dramas that I'm currently watching. But there was ONE exception that I was looking forward to, Alchemy of Souls. And I was all ready to watch both episodes on Sunday when I turned on Netflix and we all know what happened...IT DID NOT AIR! Ah! It better be there this week.

So the only thing that I watched this week that is worth talking about, is something that I would have NEVER believe that I would be talking about...


Love Between Fairy and Devil


Let me just come clean first...I never intended to watch this when I first saw it being advertised. There were two main reasons. One, Dylan Wang. Let me explain. I love watching him in reality shows. He has a very natural, playful and extremely likeable personality that just draws you in, on television when he's more himself and not playing a character. But I never really liked any of his acting...up to this point, the only drama that he started in that I watched all the way through was Meteor Garden, and this was more because it was Meteor Garden then the actors. Second, the synopsis of the plot...it was a body swap story line between a heavenly being and the the devil. And I'm not usually a big fan of body swap dramas. 

So why did I start? Because I noticed that the rating for this was much higher than what I would have thought, and I got curious. I took a look. While I am only on episode 3, this drama is proving to be better than I thought, and Dylan Wang has certainly upped his game. He basically transferred the ease of his normal personality and facial expressions into his acting. He is a delight to watch.

The story is about Xiao Lan Hua, a flower fairy who because her master got drunk often, and didn't realized that the alcohol from the tipped over bottles poured into the still developing flower, has severely damaged "root" that hampered her growth. Lan Hua is in charged of fixing "fates" of mortals while her master Si Ming is doing a round in the mortal realm. One day she finds that her crush...


with some very Ice Fantasy-isc headgear and dress, showed a broken life line. In order to save him, she jumps into the middle of the gods trying to re-seal the Devil and she gets pulled right into the "prison". The force of her being pulled in was SO strong that she literally...

crashed into his lips...because apparently neither of their natural reaction is to use their arms to stop the momentum. The kiss somehow causes them to switch bodies. The Devil, of course, was not pleased...and threatens Lan Hua by cutting off her hair...

if she doesn't do what he wants...and she proceeded to threaten right back...

to pull off his hair...a handful at a time. While trying to switch back, as the Devil was trying to kiss her, Lan Hua losses control of all the power in her new body and propels her own body and slammed it again the walls of the prison. Lan Hua, in an effort to protect her body, tries to catch herself. However, being unable to control all the power she has, she somehow AGAIN...

flew right into his lips...But this effectively switched them back. (I was NOT expecting that they would just switch back within 10 minutes). And he breaks out of the prison

First thing he does, the Devil tries to kill her...but he discovers a problem... he can feel himself being choked as he was strangling her. And it gets worse for him... he realizes that if she gets hurt, so does he...Which leads to him rescuing her for the very first time, and leading to a funny scene of a non-confession that gets taken completely the wrong way.

In this scene... he tells her that not only will he NOT kill her but he will not let anyone else kill her either. In fact, he will never let anyone harm her, and if they do, he will pull out their nerves and skin them alive. "From now on, you are mine, your life is mine, your breath is mine, your heartbeat is mine, every drop of blood in your body is mine. Without my permission, you cannot leave my side." And of course, she thinks he must have fallen for her because he's been locked up for so long that he fell for the first fairy he sees. And she gently turns him down.

But...it gets better...he's not just connected to her because he will get hurt if she does. He feels her emotions. So when she's sad, he starts to tear up, in the MOST inappropriate times. 

Another odd thing... Dylan looks really, really good in this.

The costumes are crazy. I can't image that this is comfortable. Maybe it's the color palette and the gold and red/black really suits him, but he is very pretty in this drama.

Anyway...it wasn't what I expected, and I find myself looking forward to the next episode. And I feel that this is one where a recap project will be very successful.


That's all for this week. And I'll end on this note... my son tells me in the car that he wants a mansion...and I said, well, you better work hard to earn money to pay for the mansion. He replies that it was up to me to work extra hard until I die to make money to buy him this mansion. I replied that he'll be very sad if I died, because I won't be with him anymore. And this came out of a 6 year old's month, "I will be extremely sad by your sacrifice." I was very surprised he used the word "sacrifice" correctly...