Rants and Weekly Raves (RAWR) #440

Anne: Happy Tuesday Drama Lovers! I missed last week's post, not so much because I had a lot to do, but because I am in a drama slump. I was hoping something would catch my interest this week, but that didn't happen. It is difficult to explain why. I have a lot that I've started, but nothing that is captivating enough to continue. Instead, what I'm been watching is the variety show Keep Running. Bai Lu and Charlie Zhou are cracking me up! 

So...as I buried myself in variety shows and random crime documentaries on Netflix, I don't really have a lot to update.


Oh No! Here Comes Trouble


But I did finish this last week, and it was VERY satisfying. This show is quite good. Not my swoony type of show, nor is it filled with romance. But it is an interesting concept, interesting story line, and a good ending with no cliff hanger, but still gives a lot of room for season 2. 

We find out that Pu Yi Yong finally realized the entire interaction with his dad on the bus, had a lot of meaning behind it. We realized why his grandfather purposely ignored the lady in black. We find out that Pu Yi Yong's circle of friends are the difference that could make him succeed where his grandfather didn't. We realize a lot of things. 

And who else is as surprised as I was when the "boss" was revealed? I mean, it was always very suspicious, but it was always played off like some other story line that had nothing to do with the whole string of murders. 

I think it's interesting that the show dealt with obsession. But I don't think the phrase in Mandarin is translated exactly as obsession. It's more like something you can't let go. It reminds me of the Eastern Buddhist belief that letting go of "mortal" emotions/feelings is the path to enlightenment or "spiritual" growth. And it goes with the distinctly drama type "god" where there should be no emotional ties. Which of course, every single fantasy drama has the main god-like figures completely contradict themselves for next 60 something episodes. In western lore, the afterlife is filled with family and all your loved ones. In the eastern lore, when it is talk about heaven/afterlife (not reincarnation), it is almost always something sort of "letting go". 

A little bit of some rambling, but I have always found human belief a fascinating topic. This, of course, goes hand in hand with human behavior. And I swear, when I retire, I'm getting my PhD in psychology. 


Well...this was the only show that I've managed to be interested in for the last two week. I'll have to finish the Ingenious One sometime this week. I'm intrigued that the rating has gone up, slightly.  I also started Back from the Brink, but didn't go beyond the first episodes, due to the variety show mentioned above. Strange how this is right up my alley, but it didn't quite catch my attention.

Please let me know if anyone found anything worth watching. 

The Story of Kunning Palace keep teasing me, but nothing so far. I'm wondering if they are waiting for the Bai Lu and the Luo Yun Xi shipping thing to stop or at least die down a little. There are so many videos that are reading between every thing possible to get these two together in real life. 

Have a great week everyone! And keep an eye our for some interesting show...hopefully coming out soon in the summer.