Rants and Weekly Raves #230 (RAWR)

JoAnne: You know how we've all been saying the weather this winter is crazy, how we can have a snow storm on Monday and then Spring-like temperatures a couple days later? I can beat that. This morning on the CT shoreline we woke up to freezing temps, iced over cars, and lots of slush with ice underneath. This afternoon it's almost 50. What's it like where you are?

kakashi: Stop using Fahrenheit, my friends. Nobody gets it. But yes, ice cold nights and really warm days is what we're having too - spring is coming fast. I had a lovely, sports-filled vacation in the mountains and am ready to take it really slowly at work for the next 6 months or so.

Shuk: We have have almost three weeks of nothing but cloudy drizzle and rain, with one sunshine morning somewhere in the middle. I think they have put giant sponges on the snowplow trucks just to push the water off the roads.

Panda: Our high was 59F yesterday and 21F today, so yes, the weather is having a right laugh. We had the craziest wind gusts yesterday too! Averaging 40mph all day, it was no joke. I saw a pic of a door in a tree, that's how crazy it was. I am behind on all my dramas though because I have been rewatching Nirvana in Fire with le hubs. P.S. Watch Gully Boy!

Trotwood: I drove into work this morning with black ice, fog, and snow falling. I didn't get to watch any Chinese dramas this week. I had to read over 75 applications for a search committee I'm on. People, make sure that in your cover letter, you actually get the name of the place you are applying correctly! Geeze.

I don't think any of us are paying attention to Sensei, LOL.

KOREA 

The Crowned Clown 

Only drama I am up to date with. it's way to early to have checkmated Shin Chi Soo isn't it? I know that weasel is going to do still cause havoc. The Queen dowager, wow, what a terrible human. I am a bit relieved though that the tea was just to make her sterile and not like a slow acting poison... I just saw previews for tomorrow's episode and it looks fiery! I am so excited.

Oh, I don't think we've seen the last of THAT guy, no way. As for the Queen Dowager, if I remind myself that the real Emperor actually had her young son painfully murdered, well, I can't say I blame her for not wanting him to get a child of his own. But are we suspecting that she knows the truth about this guy being an imposter?

Haechi 

My interest was not exactly captured in the first 30-minute episode but by the end of the second, it was.  It's pretty standard, yes, but it's a plot I happen to enjoy - underdog prince is forced to take control and of course he's going to be fabulous.  Bonus, the stern Emperor actually loves him best but can't show it.

Item 

Still very much enjoying this little trip into the supernatural, where Kim Kang Woo collects objects that give him unearthly advantages and he, of course, does not use them for good.  Ju Ji Hoon is perfect as the upright prosecutor driven by his desire to rid the world of scum AND his love for his adorable little niece.

Radiant 

We're getting lots of really warm fuzzy dramas this go-round, aren't we?  Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min both are actresses I really like seeing and it tickles me that they keep talking about Kim Hye Ja's voice being so good because I have loved the sound of her since the first words I ever heard her speak.  And then of course, we have Big playing a lanky, lonely, sad sad sad puppy and who could resist that?

I like watching them encounter each other and I assume they'll become friends?  There's far too much age between them for even a May-December romance, so if that's going to happen she'll have to turn back into her younger self. It kills me how she waits and hopes for him to recognize her even though she's aged, but I do love how she's so diligently figured out ways to feel useful and contribute to her family's well-being.  They're so lovely, really, her family.  Maybe they'll welcome Big into the fold and give him some much-needed hugs.

The Last Empress (Finale) 

Well, this was one hell of a ride. I actually think the last two eps were better than the the previous week's episodes even with the suicide reveal. No one got off for their horrible behavior, which I have to say, concerned me. There were characters that deserved some sympathy even though they did terrible things, and often in dramas we are forced by the writers to try to forgive and forget. Not here. The way the emperor dies in this was a master stroke. I thought it was perfect, and he got to be the person he really wanted to be at the end.  

This was nuts from start to finish and I loved it. If a drama could say 'Here, hold my beer' this is the drama to do it, every week topping the last with some outrageous development. And yes, absolutely, I agree with you, Trot. Having the Emperor die the way he did was the PERFECT way for him to go, and I even thought they had a fitting end for Na Wang Sik, too. Yes, it would have been better if we could have seen him make the decision to sacrifice himself, but real life is what it is, and they did what they could.

What's Wrong, Poong Sang? 

Doctor Sister knows what's up with Poong Sang, but can't help - her liver's too small.  So she's secretly testing her siblings to see which one might be a match before she says anything to them.  Well, so far she can only test Hwa Sang, but who knows, maybe that will work.  Her husband is shocked at her deviousness but she's not hurting her by giving her a physical and why stir up a hornets nest for no reason?

Touch Your Heart 

This show is a pile of puppies and kittens. Every week they just get more and more cute and I love them together.  Can we please have a drama every year with Lee Dong Wook and Yoo In Ah?

Romance is a Bonus Book 

Hurray! I'm not going to have to feel sorry for Shoe Puppy for very long, and we will get to keep the friendships going. I really wanted to smack the intern--not for her mistake, but for her attitude about the mistake. Eun Ho does a great job finally making her "get it." He reminds me of my grandfather; he'd make you feel so bad about what you had done that you sort of wished he did corporal punishment instead. I also thought that Eun Ho's letter to Hae Rin was the best/kindest let down I've seen and I love her relationship with her family. They were great. I'm worried though. We have this person that Eun Ho disappears for and takes care of for days w/o anyone knowing except his boss (I think it's the writer and my guess is that he's suffering from dementia and he doesn't want anyone to know), and are we going to completely ignore the locked/secret room that Shoe Puppy has in his apartment?
Note: I'm taking notes of all of Dan-Yi's coats. There are lots of great coats in this show. Every episode people have great coats. However, I was focusing on her because like Kim Bok Joo in Weightlifting Fairy (remember I did a thing about her coats, too), Dan-Yi doesn't have any money but she has at least 7 winter coats. this does not include the blazers/jackets that she wears for work either.

I guess that guy was his teacher, although I'd swear an episode or two ago they said it was his father. What a horrible situation to be in! Don't you think they could do something better than tying him to a bed? The condition of his wrists and ankles shows he spends a lot of time that way.

I think Shoe Puppy realizes where her heart is, based on his discussion with her about that 'reader'. I hope his attention turns to Hae Rin soon. I'm glad, too, that the ditzy new girl seems to finally be understanding how much this work means to her colleagues, so that she takes it more seriously or leaves.

I can't believe you didn't even mention the kiss. Lee Jong Suk is doing such a wonderful job here, since it's that kind of role that's perfect for him - and Eugene is a sweetheart, so they look and sound great together. It will be bittersweet to watch the rest now that we have news his enlistment comes in in two weeks.

Trap 

After ep 5, I had to take a break. I did mundane things like chores and writing letters for students. It is so tense and so many people get injured or killed that it almost feels like the show is smacking us around as viewers. Then we get a completely flipped scenario which makes us question everything we had believed before. I had suspicions early, but then I believed the explanations that we received. The narrative structure makes you understand why you believe who you do and ignore the warnings. But still, I didn't think it would go as far as it does. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the good guys survive this show, and we see the bad people triumphant in the end erasing all evidence and cackling at how naive we all are for basically walking into the hunting grounds ourselves.

I had pretty much forgotten how suspicious I was of him and that whole situation in the beginning but I'm telling you, Trot, until this weekend I NEVER thought he was a bad guy. I thought he was crazy and imagining things, and then I thought...I don't know what I thought but I never thought he was doing what he's doing. I can't wait for next weekend but at the same time I'll be sad this one is over.

THAILAND 

Majurat Holiday

Reading late 90's romance books to learn about love
What happens when a God of Death has a holiday on earth and bumps into the granddaughter of the girl he saved back when he was human? It doesn't take itself too seriously. District 8 Death, now known as "Yom" is also trying to find out what true love, and also why humans are so rotten. The opposite side includes the jealous District 7 Death, whose horns are slightly longer but nevertheless feels inferior to the debonair Yom; a mafioso with a child ghost slave and evil designs on our heroine; and a shaman who likes to collect ghosts to do his bidding. Add in a few adorable hell servants, and it makes for a fun watch.

But are the episodes an hour and a half a piece?

WESTERN

Poldark

kakashi is watching something just for fun, not blogging, not fanfiction - and it is Poldark! Getting ready to catch Season 4 live on air later this year. I only saw Season 1 so far, ah, it's lovely (and saaaaaaad). I have a massive Demelza crush. Of course, Ross ain't so bad either.

I should finish season 2 and watch season 3.