kakashi: For me, Moon Lovers / Scarlet Heart Ryeo is not primarily about the romance - it is about the princes and their rivalry. Mainly No 8 and No 4's rivalry, to be precise. And at the heart of that rivalry is Soo. Which means this drama is about romance even if it isn't, I guess, ha! After Wook's abandonment of Hae-Soo in her hour of greatest need, there is probably not many people left who ship these two together. And yet, Wook loves her.
JoAnne: I agree. He does love her. He just loves other things more.
Does he? I am not sure. I think he really means that thing about power; he wants power to be able to live the life he wants to live. He wants to see his mother and sister safe and he wants to marry Hae-soo. He, just like So, does not actually desire power. Power is a means to an end, and that end has a lot to do with Hae-soo.
I think it starts that way. I don't think it stays that way. I don't think it's that way, already.
Our admiration of Wook has turned into gravest disappointment, if not hate - and so quickly! On the one hand, it is because he chose the cowardly and filial son way (more than once) when she needed him instead of risking his own life and reputation like Soo did. We want heroes and princes on white horses and they damn better throw all reason over board when we need them! On the other, I think the disappointment comes from seeing him doing backstabbing, measly rat things. He lies to Hae-soo, he wants to kill So and he even tricks the meanest of them all, our glorious bandit Yo. And he would have shot him with an arrow from the distance. Wow. That's so low.
Two things he's done, of all the things he's done that I dislike: Turning around and walking away from Soo in that courtyard, and planning up front to let Yo be the fall guy for his desire to be King. Those are the two things I cannot assign to anything but cowardice and his willingness to betray.
But you know, Wook didn't just become like that overnight. He must have always been this guy, but the circumstances in his life made other sides of him dominant. I think we were simply blinded by his gentle ways in the beginning, just like Hae-soo. She, a bit slower than us, falls out of love because this side of Wook is scary. The scariest part about it for her must be that he basically claims he has become like this for her.
Which is an excuse to himself and an absolute lie. This IS Wook, with his pretense stripped away. This is who he is when things are hard. A deceitful, backstabbing, venomous man.
Yo has been entertaining. I'd much rather have to deal with a Yo than a Wook.
She showed him that it was possible for others to see what he knew himself to be. Astronomer Choi did that, too, but it couldn't have quite the same impact that Soo must have had - and it wasn't just that. He sensed a kindred soul, someone who felt alone, who wanted to be free.
He's all about the long game, our So. And I think he understood the real Wook better than we did, anyway. As for the jealousy, I think that for too long, So thought Wook's possessiveness was related to Soo being his dead wife's cousin. I don't think it ever entered his mind that Wook was The Guy.
But wouldn't you think her decision to try and change that was the more reasonable approach? She abandoned that very quickly. Of course, I suppose she might have wondered if even trying was what brings it about in the first place.
I was so glad that she finally saw him for who he is. No matter what happens, I think for her to acknowledge him as a good person would carry So through almost anything. For her to abandon him, truly, I don't know how he would react. There are other people he loves, though. I can't see him ever just 'going rogue'. He is too genuinely good for that. He has reacted too violently in the past, but exposure to other ways has tempered him. I think it's still there, but I think he has other tools now, too.
- Rants and Weekly Raves #111 (RAWR)
- The Man (that Should be) Living at my House - Epis...
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 24 (Recap)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 23 (Recap)
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 33 (Recap)
- The Man (That Should Be) Living at my House - Epis...
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 22 (Recap)
- Lee Joon-gi and... his Hair (an Update)
- Rants and Weekly Raves #110 (RAWR)
- ToGetHer 愛就宅一起 - Episode 5 (A Contest SqueeCap)
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 32 (Recap)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 21 (Recap)
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 31 (Recap)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 20 (Recap)
- Rants and Weekly Raves #109 (RAWR)
- ToGetHer 愛就宅一起 - Episode 4 (A Contest SqueeCap)
- Cinderella And Her Four Knights - Episode 7 (A Yaw...
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 30 (Recap)
- Shine or Go Crazy - What Really Happened (An Alter...
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 29 (Recap)
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 28 (Recap)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 19 (Recap)
- Rants and Weekly Raves #108 (RAWR)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 18 (Recap)
- Special Moon Lovers RAWR - So(o) in Love
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 27 (Recap)
- Special Moon Lovers RAWR - The King Question
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 26 (Recap)
- Old Nine Gates 老九门 - Episode 25 (Recap)
- ToGetHer 愛就宅一起 - Episode 3 (AContest SqueeCap)
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 17 (Recap)
- Rants and Weekly Raves #107 (RAWR)
- Thumping Spike - Episode 20, Finally the Finale Ca...
- A Princely RAWR
- Ice Fantasy 幻城 - Episode 16 (Recap)
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2015 (276)
- ► 2014 (378)
- ► 2013 (272)