Roommate Ep 2 - Giffing to Know You

Episode One of Roommate introduced our housemates as one by one they arrived at the house. This week, narrated by So Ra, the group continues to get to know each other and the rules are set. How will 11 people work out the details of living together?

JoAnne: When we would vacation in Maine it was with 2 other families, so the numbers would range between 19 and 10 or so, depending on which kids were what age and how many friends they were bringing. A week of that was tons of fun but tiring for my tiny family of me and daughter, and we knew these people as closely as family! 11 strangers is mind boggling to me.
bcook: Make the rules and stick to them. That's the only way. And remember to never make the fights personal. At my undergrad we live in houses not dorms (but that's as close as I've gotten to living with a lot of strangers.)

In keeping with the squeecap format of this blog, I must start this with an homage to a shirtless Wookie. Even though the show starts where we left off in Episode One with Bom getting situated, our Wookie needs a shower. He has been dieting, so why not do a little flaunting before hand?  And Wookie, next time do it a little closer to the camera, please. Of course it seems to depress his roommate Se Ho who remarks "wow, our bodies are complete opposites", lol.
JoAnne: I remember him saying that and it was one of the things that endeared him to me a little bit. He's a little pudgy but really pretty normal and everyone else is so...hmm...fit.
bcook: Wookie lost some of his muscle though coz he's starving himself "for art"

Bom can't seem to stay quiet in her room with her sleeping roommates so she decides to take her stuff out to the couch. She attracts the attention of Wookie, Se Ho and Min Woo, who come to chat with her.  Any pre-conceived ideas I had of Bom have gone out the window because I find her adorable. She obviously has retained a lot of her American ways of speaking (having lived there for about ten years) and refers to Wookie as "you over there." I love how in a later interview she was shocked to realize she did that and says she must have been out of her mind. She admits to not knowing if she's rude or not. She's vain and quirky and quite outspoken but seems to possess a unique charm.
JoAnne: Wow, I just wiki'd her- she went from elementary school through college here in New England! I had no idea.  Like you, I find her oddly charming.  And her rather 'doll-like' appearance just adds to a feeling that you want to take care of her.
bcook: I luff her. I want to be her friend. She seems really sweet. When you look at her younger self she doesn't look too different from what she does now. So either her plastic surgeon is very good, or there is some credence to her "I have an illness" excuse.
Speaking of charm, our adorable ChanYeol continues to charm us. We see him coming in after finishing his MV at 5 a.m., and upon confirming that Hot Aj is his roommate, he bows 90 degrees to a sleeping Sung Woo, then claps excitedly to himself.  Everything makes him smile! This guy is just too sweet! He runs into NaNa as she's leaving for a schedule and tries to find her shoes, even though she was only joking when she asked him. You may win the house favorite award from your roommates, Chan Yeol.
JoAnne: He is a complete and utter peach of a boy. I luff him.  That smile, those ears, his eagerness to experience things, his politeness, his cheeriness...I could go on, but I'll just say this:  his group mates call him their Happy Virus.  It fits!
bcook:  Eh. He seems easily imprintable. I hope he shows some more personality as the show goes on.
Morning at the house finds So Ra and Miss MMA up early for a walk and cup of coffee. I'm happy to see So Ra is making an effort to befriend people.  In the kitchen we find Hot Aj chopping away, who I guess I should officially call Mama Shin (or Shin Omma) as his roommates do. Well, I'm sure you'll still be Hot Aj to most of us. Poor Wookie is practically salivating at the food but says he has to diet so can't eat. Wookie - abs are nice but so's a little meat!
JoAnne: In this day and age, who ever heard of NOT eating as a method of dieting? Doesn't he have a trainer or anything?  Like you, I'm relieved that So Ra didn't turn out to be an enormous bitch. Ok you didn't say that but we all wondered.
bcook: Word. He's not dieting per se. He says that he doesn't eat when he's acting (probably coz of stress) for focus or something like that. I wasn't paying attention.  

First on today's agenda -  the men visiting the Mexican Embassy to get their helicopter back.  Pretty Eyes said he recently studied in Malyasia for two years, where he spoke English, yet when he loses a game of rock paper scissors and has to do the talking, he completely fails.  At which point, Se Ho, who said he learned English in kindergarten in Japan, takes over and is practically fluent in English. Even Min Woo and Chan Yeol speak English with the workers of the house!  The whole exchange is rather hilarious. All their efforts are for naught, though, as they are not allowed in the embassy and the maid can't find the helicopter. But I think we're starting to get a glimpse into the rather vapid mind of Mr. Pretty Eyes. That's OK, Kang Joon, you can just smile and we'll be happy.

JoAnne: Can we all just link hands and pray that he's just overwhelmed and shy and that it is NOT what it appears to be?  Because if it is, I think his two brain cells may die of loneliness and if they go, he goes, and we cannot afford to lose that gorgeousness.
bcook: bwahaha. That was the biggest English fail ever. Also learning English in Japan does not = fluent English. Dude took additional classes. Why not admit it? Probably because it spoils the story.

The house holds a meeting where the rules are discussed. Soo Hyun will manage the finances because she's a master at getting the most for your money,  but when the subject of cooking comes up, the roommates all stare off into space.  Poor Mama Shin has to take over the cooking.  Once again, you've got to wonder what he's thinking of these ten other people who admittedly can't cook at all. And to add insult to injury, Bom asks if he could please shave his facial hair since he's the chef - for sanitary reasons. And he agrees!  You gotta love him!
JoAnne: First off, I am highly annoyed that they made these rules when everyone wasn't present. That doesn't seem fair. Secondly, a beard is a problem? Look at the deadly weapons glued to the end of every female's fingers, Bom-ah. And I'm not talking deadly as in murder. No, I'm talking deadly as in germ catching basins for fomenting disease and diarrhea.  Not to mention all those 4 foot long waterfalls of hair extensions flying all around the place without a hair tie in sight.  You're worried about a BEARD hair? Please.
bcook: I know!! I totally thought Bom was out of line. She clearly made that sanitation thing up. How she doesn't like my ajusshi's beard I have no idea. Sadly his shexiness goes down 10 points without the beard. He's still MINE!!!

I think the most hilarious part of the show comes next, as Wookie and Pretty Eyes go off to get Pretty Eyes a cellphone so all the roommates can group chat. Observation #1 - Pretty Eyes is really nervous about what his manager will think of him getting a phone.  Apparently it was too much of a distraction when he'd had one before.  Observation #2 - Good acting and high intelligence don't always go hand in hand. These two are like the blind leading the blind. I couldn't stop from laughing at their blank faces as the salesperson asks them what kind of phone and plan they want, juxtaposed between clips of high powered roles they've played in dramas. Wookie is so self-deprecating it's adorable.

JoAnne: Speaking as a person who's bought two cell phones in her life, I have a bit more sympathy for them. I'm thinking, at least in Wookie's case, that he has people who take care of that kind of thing. So why would he know? For Puppy, well...who knows. It IS really funny how nervous he is and how they all accept that as a known condition of the business and have ways  he can reassure the manager. Mostly I was wondering if they bought a month-to-month plan because the minute the show is over, that phone is gone.
bcook: If you watch the idol variety shows they really get into trouble for having cell phones. I loved the editing in this scene. The PDs have a great sense of humour. I like to think I'm pretty savvy about phones but even I was confused. You never know how much data you need until you use the phone.

Next comes the beard shaving ceremony with Bom, Miss MMA, Se Ho and poor Mama Shin.  This guy is a great sport.  There's a lot of fun with the whole process, but I do hear a few hearts breaking around the world at the loss of his beard and mustache. Hey, Mama Shin, don't worry.  When Roommate is over, you can go back to being your swarthy, Three Musketeer self. But now you are the chef, and watching him make this huge meal, with the help of his "kitchen tower", makes me wonder how long he's going enjoy cooking for so many people.

JoAnne: How long do they all live together, anyway?  He looks good without it, but he looks better with it.  Rawr. I wonder if we get to see HIM shirtless at some point? Probably not. He doesn't seem particularly vain, although how can he not be?
bcook: He grows it back! Look at the interviews. It comes back right away!! So happy. (unless its just editing and the shoot was before the beard...*weeps*)

So Ra's puppy Giselle is sick, and Soo Hyun and Min Woo are playfully shopping. Soo Hyun admits that Min Woo and Kang Joon are both like younger brothers, but hey, that doesn't mean she can't do lots of flirting with them, right?
JoAnne: Yes because I flirt with my brothers, don't you? I guess now we know where K-Dramas get it from.
bcook: They are "like" brothers. I flirt with my little sister's male friends all the time. (Why am I trying to justify her behavior?)(Because you want to flirt with the puppies. Go right ahead. I'll be in the kitchen showing Shin Eomma a few new things he can do with fruits and vegetables.)

When Chan Yeol arrives home, everyone is all together for the first time.  They make him get up and introduce himself by singing and dancing a part of his song.  Of course he's told they all had to do it (NOT!) and poor Chan Yeol is so eager to please that he does as told. Wookie suggests they each tell about their best attributes, which leads to a piano war between Pretty Eyes and Chan Yeol. Poor Min Woo - once again he's feeling overshadowed.
And once again Miss MMA shows that she's the best at knocking people out, demonstrated on Wookie.  You should have picked someone else, Ga Yeon, because he really can't afford to lose any more brain cells!

JoAnne: Yes, no cutting off of oxygen supplies, Missy.
bcook:  That was an awesomely funny bit and I laughed and laughed and watched it again and again. You can see the panic.

Favorite moment #2 for me was watching Chan Yeol eat a meal that Mama Shin so kindly made especially for him.  Afraid to speak up, Chan Yeol said he was OK with spicy food.  Watching him eat every bit of a dish that was obviously way spicier than he liked was both laughable and endearing.
JoAnne: How many times can I say he's a sweetheart before I make my own self sick...but I mean he is SUCH a SWEETHEART.
bcook: Eh.

As the evening goes on, the guys bond. This was particularly touching as the younger guys sing the song Mama Shin made famous 20 years ago. It was apparent Mama Shin was honored that they all knew it. Things get even more serious as Wookie explains his insecurity about acting and the nightmares he has before the start of every drama. Wow. I never would have guessed that from him. I guess that's why he's a good actor.
JoAnne: I wonder if they were coached off camera or if they just really all knew it, because that was cool.
bcook: I literally cried and fell in love with my Ajusshi during this scene. He was so touched and humble *sigh*. Poor Wookie to have those fears. It just goes to show, what you see is only 5% of what is going on in peoples heads.
JoAnne: It's true - after the first few things they do, you just don't expect them to be nervous - but I guess it's a constant condition. Ugh. Would not like that.
Cute picture of Bom thrown in just because!
The girls, at least Soo Hyun and Na Na, do some bonding of their own over an order of chicken and champagne (at least for Soo Hyun. I'm looking forward to seeing her a little tipsy with the guys.)  I'm happy to see that these two are starting to get along really well over a game of go-stop.  I'll take you one beer and chicken dinner and raise it to champagne and chicken, thank you very much.

bcook: I'm making Korean friend chicken tomorrow! Must remember to buy the champagne.

And the day ends with Mama Shin and Chan Yeol in their room, enjoying each other's company and love of music. I adore being a voyeur into these people's lives. While I can't say I was previously a fan of any of them, I am pleasantly surprised at how excited I am to watch them interact.  And for once I'm not just obsessed with love lines!
bcook: That was pretty sweet. When two people vibe like that over something they both obviously love...it's quite beautiful. And of course now I can imagine my ajusshi leaning on the bed like that as we talk into the night. \^ ^/
JoAnne: You keep having him sit there while you talk. I have other intentions. We'll see where he hangs out.

Quote of the Day:  When Miss MMA started fighting with So He on the couch and once again crushed him.  I loved her response:  "It was time to take him out."  You go, girl!
JoAnne: I really like her!