Rants and Weekly Raves #241 (RAWR)

kakashi: I had good intentions this week. Like: Watch Lucifer, all ten episodes. But then, I got into a wormhole and now it's Monday and I have NO IDEA where my weekend went. I protest! I didn't sign up for this!
Trotwood: I love traveling but not necessarily unplanned and because of worrying situations. So many shows I want to start watching, but I'm not going to. I've given up on weekends being this catch up time. I'm just going to be happy to do enough laundry to have clean socks and underwear for the week.
JoAnne: Wait, what. *Pulls Trot off to the side.*

A Kenku monk, but as a White Throated Mountain Gem by Hannah Lavender @Hannah_illo
This confused me deeply for a minute-Jo

KOREA 

Abyss (New) 

I enjoyed the first episodes but I can see where this could really go off the rails.  I have to laugh at the idea that Park Bo Young is an 'ordinary' face but whatever.  I'm a little on the fence about her character - as the original actress, she would be an insufferable egotist.  But as Park Bo Young...it's kind of funny.  I will say that I *am* quite curious about the murder mystery aspect and look forward to fluffy bunny Bo Young as an experienced detective, trying to solve her own murder.

The Secret Life of My Secretary (New) 

Fifteen minutes into the first episode and I was already squealing on Twitter.  This has fantastic potential.  I adore the lead couple, the basic plot is one of my favorites, our hero's best friend is a cute new puppy.  The tone is perfect, the leads have a spark, I'm just thrilled with every bit of it. And then in the second episode *stern look over the top of my glasses* they introduce an overly harsh subplot.  It was so light!  So fluffy!  And now you want to add betrayal and murder attempts?  *sighs*  Fine.  Korea is clearly conflicted about sex because they always gotta try to kill someone before they can get laid.  I GET IT.  I will still love every minute of every interaction between our two leads and I will rage at the betrayals and everything will be alright in the end because the good is so good.  (Man, do I love Kim Young Kwang when he's playing goofy puppy.)

Jo, I tried so hard to get into this because of your twitter review but I kept sleeping off. I guess it didn't help that I tried to watch late at night?  I will try again soon because I like the leads. 

My Fellow Citizens 

Looking forward to this week's episodes very much.  I couldn't believe how quickly I went from zero episodes watched to all caught up in the 20s!  Super easy to watch and plenty to keep you occupied.

Her Private Life 

I actually thanked KDrama Baby Jesus for episode 9.  Back then, I was just a regular old KDrama watcher, waiting for subs.  But today?  I watched 10 completely raw.  You know what?  I speak FLUENT chemistry, so it's all good.  Update:  It completely stands up to a second viewing.  Words don't get in the way.  In fact, if you are blessed enough to get the preview for Episode 11, words will send you reeling! I'm about one candle away from dedicating a shrine to Ryan Gold at this point.

He is the new Gold standard for rom-com leads. In the future when we talk about them, I can predict us saying, "He's good, but is he gold? Ryan Gold?" I love the end of 10 where he just looks tired and calls her out revealing he knows--not that he's mad or upset but just tired that she feels she can't tell him. It's interesting how they are contrasting him with her friend's husband. They need to show what Dok Mi is afraid of.

*squees* *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees* I am in a puddle. What is it with PMY and her leading men? India (of DramaKandy podcast) once described her as a chemistry generator and truer words have not been spoken. She is amazing. But as always she needs an equal partner and Ryan Gold is ALL THAT and more. Those wrist kisses, those lip locks, those head kisses and OMG the preview for next episode where he started disrobing and asked her to teach him how to be a fanboy?! Who does that? Do they want to kill us?!!!! And to stop being shallow,it's not just because he is so hot. He is truly a good man and a great boyfriend. I can't wait for wednesday. Plot? Pfffft. Not needed.

Save Me 2 (New) 

The first two episodes were much lighter and funnier in tone than the initial season; for this and several other reasons I'm really not sure where they are taking this.  I see lots of faces I like including some I don't see very often - like Uhm Tae Goo (Dog Nose! with his raspy voice! In the lead role!) but also that damn boring Alex from WTFParis, too.  He might not be so boring here, playing an earnest young churchgoer who just happens to have a massive gang tattoo, hmm...

The Nokdu Flower 

This continues to be absolutely wonderful storytelling.  The way the writer weaves the brothers in and out, the way these two very talented actors take you on that journey, that fabulous cast of character actors... Ryan Gold aside (he's a completely different ball game) this is far and away the best thing showing right now.  

At this point, the bastard son has signed on with the rebels and is earnestly trying to make up for all the things he did when he served as his awful father's henchman.  He's slowly won over many of the villagers who at first mistrusted and feared him, and it's very clear that he thinks very highly of the lovely Lady Song, our Peddlar Princess.  Meanwhile, the favored son was conscripted into the military to fight the rebels, and he's got skills we never would have imagined. Kind of scary, even, at times.  He's just discovered that his hero, his teacher, the elder brother of the girl he's supposed to marry, is the one who betrayed him and destroyed his chance to sit for the civil service exam.  What he'll do with that knowledge has me very curious.

A Different Dream 

I like this but I'm not fully invested yet.  I love the time period, I'm seeing lots of faces that I enjoy, I'm curious about the motivations of a few people, but my heart just isn't here all the way.

Voice 3: City of Accomplices

Once again Voice is dark. If you thought Kim Jae Wook's crimes in the first season of Voice was dark, the've got nothing on the opening scene torture and murder scene in this new season. I usually annoyed by blurred screens, but I was thankful for the ones they used here. And I spent much of my time saying, "If this person dies . . ." We pick up 8 months after the explosion that ended season 2, but despite the fact that our heroine is almost completely recovered (her hearing though is having some problems), the team is not whole because our lead detective Do Kang Woo has gone off the rails. Not a good thing when he's dealing with his own health issues and psychological demons. We now have not only conflicts within the Korean police force but conflict with the Japanese police, too. I'm afraid I'm going to miss things because I'm going to be too anxious about who's going to die each episode. Not for the faint hearted.

Just One Bite S2

We get more about Eun Sung and her boyfriend. He can't stop helping people, even when it puts him in danger. She finds this annoying and scary, but her friends remind her that's why she likes him in the first place. It's hilarious when he ends up on television as a result. The other ep this week focuses on the guys who all hang out together, trying to help Hee Sook's boyfriend (sorry can remember his name because I don't think well whenever he's on screen) confess his feelings to her. Unfortunately, her crush from high school has shown up, and he's feeling now too young and out matched. I also love the guy in the orange beanie. He's in every episode (even from last season), and though he never says anything and is always in the background, he's hilarious. All of the show's merh is all about him. 


CHINA/TAIWAN 

Detective L

I'm wondering if the show is really popular because the subs are getting faster and faster. There are actually subs for the next six shows--meaning the next two mysteries. However, I don't think I'll be able to watch the second one before this week's Rawr gets published, so I'm just going to focus on "The Angry Begonia." Of course, I'm recommending this show in it's entirety; however, you could watch each mystery and still understand. You won't know the interesting background or relationships between characters or see the place that each mystery has in the overall arc, but each mystery itself is a well plotted tale on it's own. This one made me change my mind about who is victim and perpetrator several times. We need to get to the stage where the police just acknowledge the skill of Det L and Xiao Mian (like the local police eventually do with Miss Marple) before someone else dies from their arrogance.

History 3: Trapped

Hong Ye is annoying but turns out to be as helpful to the relationship between our OTP as she is destructive to any sense of sympathy a viewer might have for her. Her efforts to try to get Shao Fei away from Tan Yi wind up getting SF shot and Tang Yi closer to him than ever. I have watched him holding the cops hand and tracing the outline of his face so many times, I could probably act it out myself. We get more cute hijinks between our 2nd couple, but Jack is dangerous (in a good way), so our minion, who looks like he's in cahoots with a crooked cop, better watch out.

JAPAN 

Naruto

I forgot how good this is. One episode before Tsunade makes an appearance (82)! The KakaSaku fanfic is going strong. (Wait... maybe that is where my weekend went?)

Kinou Nani Tabeti

Shiro's dad goes in for surgery, and we finally get background about how Shiro and Kenji meet and move in together. I would love to get more of that story. They are so cute together! And Kenji fell hard. We also get exposed to why Kenji is insecure about their relationship. The tone is till so gentle, and I told my daughter that I wished I was their neighbor, That's how much I like them.

WESTERN

Lucifer 

Wanted to, didn't. Will. 
So I was right? Season 4 is a new season? Oh, I WILL. I will INDEED. They left us hanging before.