Rants and Weekly Raves #310 (RAWR)

kakashi: How is everyone? I watched "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" last week - mainly because of the "and the Duke" in the title :)) historical romance is rubbing off. Anyway, I didn't like it much - the story was 50% boring and the female lead got on my nerves. Thank god for the ffward button.

 

I also watched Mulan! The movie got a lot of vitriol way before its release and the CNetz community is hating it with a vengeance... I didn't mind it that much. It's a Disney movie and in many ways, it reminded me of the 2009 version with Chen Kun. The movie delivers what I would expect of a Mulan life-action movie in 2020 - great fight scenes, a thin story (Mulan has always been thin, this isn't thinner or thicker than any of the others), and a message: girls, follow your calling despite it all. You can do it! Is it particularly Chinese? No, apart from the all-Asian cast, it's thoroughly American. Did I expect something else? Nope, not in the least. Does it have issues? Many, many, many. Is it worth making a fuss about it? No. Should you watch it? Do if you're interested, don't if you're not. 

Panda: Hi! I feel so guilty that there seems to be quality dramas out there- SF2, Alice, Evil.. and yet my brain simply can't watch any content like that. I have completed my Selling Sunset binge and have now started Poirot. Currently on season 2. Sigh. Re Mulan, part of the vitriol is that this is the first Disney live action that is not exactly like the cartoon. Part of this action was supposedly to make it less offensive historically but my fear was that it would end like the 2009 Mulan (which is very good) but not as good as it. This seems to be the case. Eh, i will still watch it. Mulan is one of my most favorite cartoons. I just wished Disney had completely committed to it and had Chinese screenwriters too just to give it that more authentic edge.